Major Insect-Pest Of Maize
1.Maize/ Sorghum stem borer: Chilo partellus
- Most destructive pest of maize/sorghum.
- Caterpillars infect the crop usually one month after sowing.
- It cause pin holes on leaves or”dead hearts” in stem.
- The infestation may be noticed till harvesting.
- Larvae remains hibernate in maize stubbles.
- Destroy stubbles, weeds & alternate hosts.
- Application of Phorate 10 G @ 20 kg/ha or Carbofuran 3G @ 25 kg/ha.
- Release of Cotesia (Apanteles) spp.
Other pests of maize:
1.Maize aphid: Rhapalosiphum maydis
2.European corn borer: Ostrinia nubilalis
F:Pyralidae O: Lepidoptera.
(It doesn’t occur in India).
3.Asian maize borer: O. furnacalis
- present in some part of India.
4.Pink borer: Sesamia inferens
F:Noctuidae O: Lepidoptera.
- It mainly feeds on maize, rice and wheat
- It cause ‘dead heart’ on central shoot in wheat (IARI, Ph.D-04)
5. Fall Army Worm : Spodoptera frugiperda
F: Noctuidae O:Lepidoptera
- During the day the common armyworm shelters in the throats of plants or in the soil and emerge after sunset to feed.
- Dayfeeding armyworm are active during the day. Young plants may be defoliated or killed.