Major Insect pest of Wheat
Army worm of wheat: Mythimna separata
F:Noctuidae O: Lepidoptera.
- The freshly emerged larvae spin threads from which they suspend themselves inthe air and then with the help of air current reach from one plant to another.
- Early stage feeds on tender leaves in to central whorl of the plants but later caterpillars are able to feed on older leaves and skelerotized them totally
- In case of severe attack by the army worm whole leaves including the mid ribs are consumed and the field looks as “grazed by the cattle”.
- Spray Quinolphos 25 EC @ 500 ml/ha.
Ghujhia weevil: Tanymecus indicus
F:Curculionidae O: Coleoptera.
- It is specific pest of wheat nursery. (ARS-07)
- Damage caused byadult weevil only.
- They cut the germinating seedlings at the ground level.
- Mainly damage is done in the monthsof October-November.
Other pests of wheat:
a.Termite:Odontotermes obesus, F:Termitidae O: lsoptera.
b.Wheat aphid: Macrosi,phum miscanthi, F: Aphididae O: Hemiptera.
c.Wheat mite: Petrobia laens, F:Acarina. (ARS-05)