Seed And their Types
• Botanically seed is a fertilized ovule consisting of intact embryo, stored food and seed coat which is viable and has got the capacity to germinate.
- Indian seed act passed in: 1966
- National Seed Corporation in: 1963
Types of pure seeds:
A. Breeder/nucleus seed:
|• Such seed are produced directly under the supervision of plant breeder. It possessed all the required genetic characters and 99.9% genetically pure.|
• Breeder seed is used to produce foundation seed. • It has golden yellow colored tag.
B. Foundation seed:
|• It’s progeny of breeder seed.Known as mother seed and it is the source of registered and certified seed classes.|
• It is genetically 99.9%% pure. However, physical purity of 98% is permissible.
• Production of foundation seed is the responsibility of national corporation.
• It is produced on government farms, at experiment stations, apiculture universities or
on cultivator’s field under strict supervision of research scientists and expert from seed certification agencies (SCA).
• White tag is denotes for foundation seed.
C. Registered seed:
|• Produced from Foundation seed or registered seed itself.It has satisfactory genetic identity and purity.|
• it is generally omitted and certified seed is produced directly from foundation seed.It has purple/orange tag.
D. Certified seed:
|• Progeny of registered seed, foundation seed or Certified seed itself.|
• It has satisfactory genetic identity and purity. Approved and certified by state seed certifying agency
• It denoted by blue tag.
• It is available for general distribution to farmers for commercial crop production.